GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Monday, August 13, 2007

The Sky Is Falling!


Last night was the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower - about 2 'shooting stars' a minute after midnight, so more like a Meteor Storm. It was amazing! Ry and I drove way north and west to get away from the city lights, parked on a random dirt road in the middle of no where and set up our air-matress, sleeping bags, pillows, etc. We stayed till about 2am, eating Red Vines the whole time. I've never seen so many shooting stars before.

The Perseid Meteor Shower occurs every August, so we decided to make it a new tradition to go camping every August during the peak of the shower. Besides being scared of a rat going to jump on my head (I swear I heard him in the bushes), and the nearly incessant barking of a farm dog who somehow knew we were there even when we were dead silent, it was great!

It was a New Moon last night too - so without any moonlight distracting, the stars were even brighter!

To read more about the Perseid Meteor Shower go to http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/11jul_greatperseids.htm

7 comments:

Troy said...

Elicia and I went out and looked for a long time. I saw two, Elicia maybe one.

The mosquitos had a feast.

Guess it was just too light here by the big city to see too many. :(

You guys know you can get round trip plane tickets out here for about $100 a person right?

D'N'J said...

aw, why didn't anyone tell me??

D'N'J said...

hee! it's so fun to watch you guys in the lab!

D'N'J said...

YAY!!! more dancing! bravo!

Anonymous said...

You guys are such romanticos. I was exhasuted that night -- asleep by 9 -- so there's no way I could stayed up to watch.

MStevenson said...

...and made out?

Heather said...

Wow, what a fun idea! So fun you will be making this a traditon.