GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Friday, March 21, 2008

Work - What's That?! or Why I Wet My Pants on the Way To the Bathroom

I'll tell you what it is...for me, filing, copying, website design/maitenance, phone calls, paperwork, faxes, meetings, editing, planning office parties, doing payroll, and most random of all - trying to understand thick Canadian accents. Sometimes it's like they're not even speaking English! I am an 'Administrative Assistant' to a Financial Advisor/Small Business Entrepreneur - which means I do pretty much everything and anything. And if I don't know how - I figure it out. It really is a great job, and being the only girl in the office I've learned to deal and hold my own. The hours are flexible, my boss is great, and I work independently - which couldn't be better.

I've been here almost 3 years, since my boss opened the business, and am the first and only administrative assistant so far, and leaving is somehow bitter sweet. I will be way happy to just be a mom and there are things I won't miss of course. But after putting in so much time and effort, and being so invested in the things I've helped to create and the projects that are 'mine' - I almost hate to hand it off to someone else - I worry things won't get done right, but that's because I'm bossy and just a little OCD (obsessive-compulsive). =)

Our business entities - Nichols International (website still under construction), Nichols Capital, Outdoorsman.com, Docs Hunting & Fishing, and Boat Insider.

As you can see - most of these are related to outdoor rec, and mostly hunting. We send our Outdoorsman.com guys to a lot of hunting/fishing expos. So I really shouldn't have been surprised when I turned the corner of our nice 'classy' office, headed for the bathroom, and found this starring at me...

Maybe I yelped a little. This pic is even after the antlers have been removed - which are huge! I had to duck to get to the bathroom, and when I came out they were just looking at me...I've been avoiding them for over a week now. And let me tell you - 'holding it' isn't an option when you're 8 months pregnant! Stupid elk.

Since I do all the listings on Outdoorsman.com, and website design for some of our outfitters, I'm used to looking at pictures of dead animals, as weird as that sounds - but having a stuffed one in the room with you...totally different. And very disturbing. I keep thinking the big bull is going to come to life and bite my arm when I go to check the mail. You can't really tell from the pic, but he's nearly eye level with me when I walk by. Who knew an office/desk job could be so perilous!?

6 comments:

MStevenson said...

Ha. That's funny. I would be scared of those too.

Yah, I could see where you'ld be a little sad that your leaving, but its a good trade. You wont miss it after a while. :)

Amanda Petersen said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW! i really cannot handle dead animals. really. mike still has to convince me that roadkill is "sleeping," "doing yoga," "stuck w/ a hangover..." the list goes on.

and speaking of weird... SHUTUP! you didn't have the same easter breakfast!? wow! kindred spirits. i just love you friend!

Troy said...

Baby!

Get a grip! You'll be changing diapers and barf in a short while!

:)

D'N'J said...

wow, that's a really gross statue thingie. hee. i've never been able to appreciate dead mounted animals. i don't know, i think i like them better alive, they seem cuter that way.

Elicia said...

ah ha ha! that reminds me of when i was in marching band, we were in a whole other town, competeting in a parade, and a huge group of us had to go, but couldn't run over to the school because it was too late, and the girls we sent over there hadn't come back yet, and we only had ten minutes before we had to start marching. so we had to go knock on a resident's door. when we walked in, there was all these stuffed animals in there. deer, ducks, geese, things i don't even know the name for! we all lined up infront of the bathroom, facing the wall so we couldn't look at it all. when i was walking in, i almost ran into some antlers. i felt so bad for the animals, especially this one girl who is a major animal person and hated people killing them. we all let her go first so she could get out of there as quick as she could. at least you don't have to deal with a roomful of dead animals!

Jake & Becca said...

Ha Ha Ha! My favorite line was "Stupid Elk". I can just hear the attitude. I can imagine working with all men would be an interesting atmosphere. I'm not sure if you would want to switch. I work with nine other women and a Boss that is a little like a girl in many ways and let me tell you... gossip and mood swings and just plain brattiness (sp?) some times! Love your stories.