So, I kind of skipped last weeks Fat Friday, oops. Oh, well. This week I've been trying to change some of my eating habits. Because I run around keeping myself busy all day, I usually don't realize I'm hungry until I feel like I'm starving - then I just grab whatever is quick and easy, usually not the best choices either...chips, cereal, microwave anything from corn dogs to lean pockets. So while I'm grocery shopping I try to steer clear of those things - and lean towards quick and easy healthy snacks - baby carrots, apples, yogurt, string cheese, etc. Just easy changes that will make a big difference. What do you eat that you could start switching out for a healthier choice? Any suggestions of healthy snacks?A book that I really want to get is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. She has found a way to sneak in healthy foods so her kids will eat without complaining. You can find some of the recipes by clicking on the link to Oprah.com from her site. I've heard the recipes are super good too. A lot of her ideas go right along with making homemade baby food, something I really want to do when it's time - saving money & it's a healthier choice for the baby.
So does anyone have a point total to brag about yet? For every time you switch out a not so healthy snack for a healthier choice - give yourself 2 points.
Chicken Nuggets - from Deliciously Deceptive
- 1 cup whole-wheat, white or panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup broccoli or spinach or sweet potato or beet puree
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders, rinsed, dried and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic and onion powder on the paper or foil and mix well with your fingers.
In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Then turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut through a piece to check that it's cooked through.) Serve warm.
In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Then turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut through a piece to check that it's cooked through.) Serve warm.

1 comment:
Hey isn't that a shirt? I've been eating a lot of almonds lately. Curbs your appetite, and healthy.
Post a Comment