GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Strangely Proud

If you've been reading my blog - you can probably guess how I feel about the outcome of the election. So I won't get on my soapbox - what's done is done.

Instead, I just wanted to point something out that I've been thinking about this morning. We live in an amazing country! What other country would enthusiastically elect a minority that was so grossly suppressed just a few decades ago? This really is the land of opportunity. No matter what a persons background or heritage they are free to make something of themselves - whether they choose to or not, is up to them. And now, there are no more excuses. No sitting around, blaming your woes on the oppression that stands in your way, for there is none. So glad I live in the U.S.A. - it really is the promised land.

6 comments:

D'N'J said...

I'm really glad you can be positive about it. I spent the night hashing it out with a black friend who was pretty upset that I didn't think color should be so much of a factor, more emphasis on the issues and values a person holds. I got pretty annoyed.

I think it's great that people of any color can get elected, I just wish it wasn't about color.

KimWar said...

I like your post. I really do think this is more about color than we think and in a good way too. Like you said this was a group of people so oppressed not even fifty years ago. this says a lot about our country and the changes it has undergone to get to this point. That says a lot about our citizens, because the issue of race has been a horrible one for hundreds of years and now look at what's happened. This is excellent. I think something like this needs to happen. I don't know why we keep pretending that this election should have nothing to do with race, because it most certainly has a lot to do with it. Anyways I like hearing your comments.

robin said...

And yet, depending on the policies that Obama brings to us for the next 4 years, he has the capability of setting back race relations to slavery times. I hope that he will not do anything that will cause a conflict, but he definitely has the potential to do harm. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Troy said...

It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a marxist. Left leaning democrat - I'd be thrilled.

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I love our country too. When the twin towers fell that is when I really realized how Patriotic I was. We were in Canada and ALL I could think about was going HOME.

BlondieBlueEyes said...

PLEASE post the Halloween pictures. I can't wait much longer I am going to have to call Mel and find out what you were.