GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Monday, April 27, 2009

run forrest run! (warning: slight tmi)

I have never been a runner - I've always wanted to be, but just haven't quite made it. The closest I got to being in runner shape was the year before Ry & I were married. I had this amazing roommate - Amanda - who would drag me to the gym with her almost every night and we'd hit the treadmills. My goal at first was to not die, then as I got better, it was to keep up with her pace. And with some sweet workout cd's, I did it! So thanks Manda, for getting me in shape before Ry got home & before we got married!

Now after almost 2 years of not working out (pathetic) - I'm starting up again. I was so sick when I was pregnant - sometimes talking would make me throw up, so working out was no where near possible. I've been nursing Sadie the past year & working out too much slows/stops your milk supply (tmi - I warned you...) so I've just been waiting. Well, we're weaning - so I can workout again!! Hooray!! And to celebrate I've decided to train for my first 5k! Ry is in on the challenge too. (note widget on sidebar) So we're officially inviting anyone who wants to join us to train up & do the Top of Utah Marathon 5k - count down has started, so get your running shoes on!

Think you can't do it? You can. Click here for a guide I found online for training - from couch potato to 5k in 9 weeks! Just give it a try. I started training today - mixing it up with yoga & strength training in between the running days, with Sunday to rest of course. Good luck!

7 comments:

Laura Howard said...

Ooh! Good plan, Barb! I prefer cycling to running, but I've always wanted to be a better runner.

I don't think I'll be around to do a 5K, but I would love to be in shape for one!

Amanda Petersen said...

silly bados! i think you accidentally linked ME as the manda you were talking about... did i really run? really? i remember GOING to workout, but never developing that running gene:) maybe when i'm not with child we can do a LITTLE run together? little... little...:) i'm more of a... slow walker! haha

The Kippen House said...

So is it a the TOU Marathon or a 5K? Either way, awesome goal!!! I had all intentions of running the half marathon this summer (due to my great failure at last years) but the baby didn't come when we were planning it to come and now I won't have time to train. You better believe I'll be there to cheer for you though!!!
P.S. LOVE Sadie's 12 month pic's!!! I hope she wins that contest!

Kath, Becca, and Ellie said...

The Couch to 5K program is so great! I totally have a testimony of it! haha. I'm running the 1/2 at Top of Utah so I'll see you there!!!!

Marie said...

Okay, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't exersized in 2 years. I didn't even know that it slows milk production--or I totally would have used that as an excuse! I'm proud of you for running a 5K.

Ruth Done said...

good luck! I'm running that half marathon up there so maybe I will see you there!
P.S. Yoga is the BEST!!!!

MStevenson said...

I'm proud of you B

I like the picture you picked for this post...that's about what I would look like if I was running the marathon.