GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

the scarlet letter...dun dun dun....

Thanks to the time I had to wait in the dentist chair today, I just finished The Scarlet Letter - surprisingly I liked it and it wasn't that hard to get through. At least not after I chose to skip the 45 page essay on the common house before the book begins...I tried, but wanted to poke my eyes out and then realized it wasn't even part of the book! Ha.

The beginning was a little slow - but playing it in my head like a movie and hearing the whole book with an English accent in my head really helped! (it's okay, you can laugh like Ry did when I told him that...) Then I was engrossed in the characters and just wanted to know what would happen to them next. So, way to go Nathaniel Hawthorne!

And can I just say - thank goodness for the Atonement and the knowledge we have of it! These poor puritans - make a mistake and your lost to the "black man" for good - there's no coming back. I'm so glad when I make mistakes I can be forgiven. That's all. Amen.

Was so excited to watch the movie - I love reading a book and then watching the movie of it...just found out it's rated R...maybe I can find a cleaner version from the '70's or made for TV, we'll see.

Now reading: Saying It Like It Is by Sheri Dew

2 comments:

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

A couple months ago I met a girl named Hester and I totally judged her ;)

J said...

There is an old movie of The Scarlet Letter -- I watched it in high school. I need to start reading more! I love to read, but don't seem to find the time anymore :(