GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

hopefully my thumb is green this year

It changes on a yearly basis. In the past when we've had an outdoor garden things bloomed like crazy & we got tons of veggies. It's the indoor potted plants I tend to kill...over watering maybe?! I don't know. This year my sister Carrie...

...who conveniently lives 2 doors away, has generously given us some (most) of her garden to use as our own. She pretty much rocks and we are super grateful! Ry & I both love gardening and can't wait to eat the fruits (veggies) of our labors. This weekend we turned this weedy/grassy horrible mess...

...into this nicely tilled, fenced, ready to plant garden plot...

I even dug up this weed - it is a dandelion weed! Really. When my shovel hit it I thought I'd hit cement. It was a beast...

Carrie already had strawberries going. Ry and I planted cherry tomatoes, better boy tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, zucchini, cucumber, yellow squash, pumpkin, acorn squash, carrots, and green beans. Can't wait to watch these little guys grow! Sadie was a big help and loves playing in the dirt. She has special gardening gloves and tools too.

Yesterday I planted my flowers. Despite the naughty neighborhood children who tried to destroy my perennial lily's by first bending and then burying - they came back! Ha! Take that stinky little children...

...and soon they will have blooms like this...

And I planted these beauties...love them!


3 comments:

MStevenson said...

Looks great!

We're trying a few strawberries on our porch this year. I'm sure we'll kill em' all! And yes that was a threat.

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I am EXCITED for you.

Heather said...

How fun to have your own garden! I am a little jealous. I love your pretty flowers!

So...I miss you! I hope you'll be coming down soon because I WANT TO SEE YOU!!