GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Slight Confession

I'm just gonna come out and say it...I'm like a child when it comes to taking medicine - any kind. I hate it, I avoid it, and sometimes even try to pretend that I've taken it when I haven't. Ry always catches me though. If I have a cold he has to ask me, like I'm a child, if I've taken my medicine...ridiculous. But there is good justification for my hatred of medication...

When I was little I would always, always choke on hard candy. It's a little beyond me why people kept giving it to me, but I always choked. I even remember my dad holding me upside down by my feet to get it out - hymlec, whats that!? It's a miracle I'm still alive. So now, I can't even swallow pills - which I trace back to the before mentioned childhood memory. If I feel anything hard going down my throat my gag reflux is off the charts and my throat closes up. So yes, I cut my pills into smaller pieces. I used to crush them & take them in jam - but now I've worked my way up to swallowing smaller pieces...and yes, I'm 24 years old.

So I think someone was playing a mean joke on me or trying to teach me a lesson when I was diagnosed with an epileptic disorder 2 years ago that I've been on medicine for ever since. Medicine - everyday, twice a day! It's like torture! Stupid pills, and they're big ones too. Only a little bitter. So now I take 6 pills in the morning, and 2 at night...

I also have gotten some pretty bad drug interactions between my meds & cold medicine (even though the dr's & pharmacist said it would be fine - they lie). So now I really avoid medicine when I'm sick.

Oh, but that's not all. I am super forgetful! Always have been. And pregnancy only made it worse. So after forgetting my medicine on a few separate occasions, Ry forced me to buy one of those plastic pill holders - you know the ones, labeled for each day of the week. How embarrassing! So now I have on old-person pill holder, with my many pills, that I cut up into smaller pieces daily...so there it is. Confessing this publicly is a sign of no-shame, hopefully - and also I'm trying to kill time until I can take my pills at midnight...since I forgot them this morning again. =)

5 comments:

D'N'J said...

i always ask jeff when he comes to bed if he's had his pills. he always just kind of rolls his eyes at me, but it's just because sometimes he doesn't. I guess he forgets too. I got him one of those cases, but we just sort of stopped using it. mostly i got him one so that if he hadn't had his pill, we could see it in the case so he didn't overdose. :)

CAF said...

I love yr quirks, B!

Troy said...

ARE YOU ON DRUGS?!?!?

gimme some! ;)

Amanda Petersen said...

Oh bados!! How could I forget—you poor thing! That still is thoroughly humorous, even though I know it’s not really funny:) good luck my friend! And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY tomorrow!

BlondieBlueEyes said...

I hate taking pills too and of course I take them regularly. The only things I am allergic to are medications.

LIFE!!! Your NOT alone.