GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Black Like Me - Book Review

In 1959, John Griffin - a white journalist - decides to see what it is like to be a black man in the deep south. After gaining support from his wife, he travels to New Orleans and finds a good dermatologist to help him with the transformation. He actually took oral medication & exposed himself to UV lights to change his pigmentation (yikes...). This is a true account of what happened to him before, during, and after the transformation - the people he met & situations he was placed in are both truly heroic, and disturbing.

I found this book to be very eyeopening, informative, and captivating. An easy read, I would highly recommend it to anyone. But be forewarned: there is some swearing and adult content. So if you're light at heart & easily offended - don't read. I didn't think anything was offensive enough to keep me from reading it.

Favorite Quote: "By keeping 'peaceful'...we end up consenting to the destruction of all peace - for so long as we condone injustice by a small but powerful group, we condone the destruction of all social stability, all real peace, all trust in man's good intentions toward his fellow man."

I have now started Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - if you need ideas of what to read next - click here.

3 comments:

CAF said...

The Kite Runner is one of my favorite books. Killer pick.

D'N'J said...

have they made black like me into a movie yet?

Ryan & Lisa said...

I read a thousand splendid suns and it was a complete eye opener for me but haven't read kite runner yet i'm excited to hear what you think!