GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Kite Runner - Book Review

Hosseini is a great author & knows how to get the reader emotionally involved with the characters and sucked into the plot. I loved this book. It was an easy read & really opened my eyes to real life in Afghanistan. It was especially interesting to learn about what life was like pre-war time. It made me even more grateful for the freedoms we have here in the states.

The (thick) plot is gripping, with unexpected turns. Beware - once again, if you are light at heart there are some swears and some adult content. All in all though, I felt like after finishing the book I had truly been uplifted. It really makes you think about what you have & the choices you make on a daily basis.

Favorite Quote(s): "War doesn't negate decency. It demands it, even more than in times of peace."

"It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime..."

"...when spring comes, it melts the snow one flake at a time..."

Now Reading: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

4 comments:

Troy said...

How did the book lean politically? Death to the Great Satan?

Barb said...

Actually it was more about the Russian invasion in the '70's leading up to the Taliban take over. It does mention the U.S. being a place of refuge for many in the early '80's, but that's about it.

Ruth Done said...

I have read both books and loved them. I love that they are fictional but they also follow actual history. I can't believe that people really live like that.

KimWar said...

I LOVE this book!!!! It is fantastic!