GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Monday, December 29, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Book Review

Apparently all I've been doing is reading lately...oops. A Thousand Splendid Suns - let me just say, wow. This book was amazing! It is about the plight of women in Afghanistan - spanning three decades of war, a novel peppered throughout with historical facts. I was immersed in the characters & felt emotionally involved...maybe I almost cried a couple of times. I would highly recommend this book. Be advised - adult content & war, so don't be shocked.

I found myself reading a chapter & then researching things online - one interesting find - The Bamiyan Buddhas & a picture slideshow of them. If you're into archeology & history - you'll appreciate the links.

This book made me incredibly grateful for the blessings I have in this life. My freedom, my rights as a woman, religious freedom, but most of all my loving husband. He treats me like a princess, respects me, and loves me unconditionally. This book was a reminder that not everyone is blessed to have that. My heart goes out to women who are treated poorly, abused, and can do nothing to change the situations they find themselves in. Enough said.

Now Reading: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

3 comments:

Katie said...

I read this book for one of my classes. It is a good read! Thanks for sharing what you are reading ... it makes me want to read more!

The Kippen House said...

Sounds really good, I'm looking for a new book. I've been thinking about the Kite Runner but I had heard bad things about it, so I'm glad to hear that you were uplifted. If you want a good book suggestion try The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It is SO good! Very gripping! I MISS YOU!!!!!!! Give Sadie a squeeze for me, okay?! LOVE!

huston said...

i loved this book and i totally bawled a few times actually!