GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Party of Death - Book Review

The Party of Death: The Democrats, the Media, the Courts, and the Disregard for Human Life by Ramesh Ponnuru. What a book. To be honest, I have finished it, but not. I'm done, even though there are still 148 pages left to be read. I gave this book 100 good pages of reading, and I think that's all I can muster. Ponnuru argues every single point a pro-choicer can throw out, and his research is amazing. I was already a pro-lifer, so it didn't really help me decide where I stand on the abortion debate. But it was very informative. There are lots of things I didn't know about the issue and how we got to where we are politically. It also gave me some hope for Roe to be overturned someday - the majority of Americans still think abortion should be illegal.

A couple of thoughts on the issue...I'm pro-choice in the sense that I do think people should have a right to choose - but those women made their choice 9 months previous. And in the instances where there choice was taken from them and pregnancy was forced on them - they should know better than anyone what it is like to have someone take your choice away, and should at least be willing to give that baby it's right to life and a good home through adoption. There are a million reasons that pro-choicers can use to debate, but what it comes down to is life. From the second those cells start multiplying, that embryo is a separate living, growing thing from it's mother - did I mention living?! I don't know how people can argue this. It's not even a matter of theology, it's a matter of biology. I could go on and on, but enough said.

So, if you'd like a good pro-life book that discusses the politics behind the abortion debate, and all of the corrupt politicians, read this. Or if you're not sure where you stand and want more info, read this.

A snippet of interest: "'I was born out of wedlock (and against the advice that my mother received from her doctor) and therefore abortion is a personal issue for me,' wrote the minister. he went on to compare abortion to slavery. 'If one accepts the position that life is private, and therefore you have the right to do with it as you please, one must also accept the conclusion of that logic. That was the premise of slavery. You could not protest the existence or treatment of slaves on the plantation because that was private and therefore outside of your right to be concerned.' He asked, ' What happens to the mind of a person, and the moral fabric of a nation, that accepts the aborting of the life of a baby without a pang of conscience?

"Those words were written in 1977. Eleven years later, their author, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, was running for the Democratic nomination for president - and speaking very differently. 'Women must have freedom of choice over what to do over their bodies,' said the candidate."

Are you kidding me?! Wow. Amazing how things change when it's convenient.

Now Reading: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Just A Note - If you want to see the books I've read, read my reviews, or see the books I plan on reading - just click on my Shelfari bookshelf on the side bar --> where it says "Shelfari" - I would recommend getting an account if you plan to do your own reading challenge this year!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Barbara if you are keeping a tally of your challenge to your blog readers you can put me down for four books since Jan 1st. The only one worth mentioning is A thousand Splendid Suns. I can't remember if you had already read this or not. It was definately interesting to learn about the culture in afhganastan. And also to read a story of strong women rising about their circumstances. I recommend!

Amanda Petersen said...

you and your reading. you amaze me. i envy you:)

D'N'J said...

such meaningful books :) and all i ever read is fiction!

Elicia said...

its true! i don't read many informative books! i like my fictional stories!

Heather said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the book Persuasion, and the movie. It's my personal fave of Austen's, hope you enjoy it. And thanks for the review, I heard of this book briefly, but never really got what it was about, so this has really piqued my interest.