GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sleep = Happy & Why I Owe Shauna My Life

The last time I recall getting a good night's sleep was...before I was pregnant. No joke. Once I was pregnant my morning to-do list consisted of not vomiting while getting out of bed & moving to the couch. Then the acid reflux came, in which a bottle of tums was my best friend & sleeping companion, sorry husband. Then the pressure on the bladder and the bathroom trips every hour. Then Sadie baby arrived. And most of you know, sleeping is not her forte. And so every 3 hours (on average) I wake up, feed the little one, and rock her back to sleep. I don't even remember the last time I had dreams. Eight and a half months of little, broken up sleep...until last night.

I've been asking everyone for months how they got their babies to finally sleep good. I've been reading everything I can on the subject, and finally after listening to my friend Shauna, again, tell me her success story - Ry & I decided to dive in head first last night to sleep training our little one. We didn't swaddle, we didn't go pop binky back in when it fell out & woke her up - we let her figure that out. She actually will find it in the dark and put it back in herself...ha! We started yesterday with naps & she really is getting the hang of self-soothing. And it's not taking all the "cry it out" that people talk about. We just make sure she's sleepy enough, rock her a little (but not to sleep) and then put her in her crib. And she puts herself to sleep! Awesome. I can't even tell you how excited I am!

She slept last night from 10pm-2am, ate briefly, then from 2:15am-9am! What!? Nearly 7 hours straight!! I actually went and checked on her a few times to make sure she was still breathing...so my dear friend Shauna - I owe you my life! Or at least an ice cream outing. Thanks for giving me the confidence to finally sleep train. I woke up happier, refreshed, and a better mom because of it. And I actually had dreams last night! All be it, weird ones, dreams nonetheless! Yeah for sleep training!!

And just for fun...Sadie's cute shoes - she wore them outside today for the first time & is so interested in them. I just really haven't put shoes on her until now, thinking that her feet weren't that big & she'd be able to fit into all of the ones we have - well apparently she's a size 3 already! Wow.

13 comments:

Katie said...

Ha ha I love how her pants roll up to almost her knees! Cute shoes! And congrats on getting some sleep!

Kath, Becca, and Ellie said...

I'm so glad you're sleeping!!! Hallelujah!! Mothers are martyrs... good on ya! And I agree with what Katie said: those pant cuffs are adorable!!!

Heather said...

She is SO CUTE! Love the shoes too, what a doll! Good luck with the sleep training, I had some great sleepers, and some not so great, so you have my sympathy, and I hope Sadie continues on with her great sleeping success!

MStevenson said...

I wish my two year old would sleep. Lately he's up and down, can't decide where to sleep. Mostly he wants to sleep at the foot of our bed. We have our own little Puppy too I guess.

I'm hoping when the new baby is old enough to sleep in his crib, Welly will have a bedroom buddy and will stay in his room.

Someone in my ward suggested locking our door. I just can't I'm a total sucker.

Barb said...

I wouldn't ever be able to lock my door Melly, I don't blame you. I think that's just bad news - what if your child really did need you? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Melissa said...

Yea!!! Mommas need sleep! Addison sleeps from 7 pm to 8 am every night. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself cuz my sister in laws baby sleeps til 10! I didn't know sadie wasn't sleeping! Now I feel quite LUCKY! I also know a girl whos baby woke up every 3 hours until he was 18 months! She said one night she let him cry it out and viola! It makes me scared to have another, cuz I think Ive been spoiled!

MStevenson said...

I couldn't let Wellington cry for for very long, because he would work himself up to a frenzy within 15 minutes and throw up. Then I'd be cleaning up barf in the middle of the night. I opted for giving in. Now I just dish out spanks. But he still sneaks in to sleep in our room when we fall asleep. We try and get him to sleep on the love sac at the foot of our bed. It's just too hard to share a bed with him anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! I'm so happy that you got some sleep! I hope it continues for you!

The Kippen House said...

Sadie is so cute! I really want a girl... Anyway, I'm so excited your ready Persuasion. I love that book! When it's over you should get on youtube and watch the 2007 version. It's really good!

Sarah said...

Aaah! Sadie's so cute, even if she doesn't sleep so good!

Vernos said...

Way to go barb! That's a breakthrough, and you will be a happier gal with those few extra hours!

Marie said...

I am so glad Sadie is sleeping better for you. Dani is waking up at 5 am....for good...since we moved. Yikes! I don't know how to train her to sleep longer.....I guess I'll just go to bed at 9:00. :-)

Melissa said...

ps addison has those same shoes! haha. She isso cute... do most people say she looks a little bit like ryan?