Okay, apparently another ode to my friend Shauna. It's an accident - I swear. I just wanted to post about baby food - and Shauna taught me a few tricks. I have made all of Sadie's baby food - except the cereal, and I love it!I found this great website - wholesomebabyfood.com - and it has saved us a ton of money, plus it's fresh and super healthy, and way easier than you'd think. The website has info on food safety, age to introduce certain foods, best ways to cook it to keep the most nutrition in, food storage, recipes, and allergy information. I love it! To date I've made - sweet potato, peas, carrots, prunes, apples, bananas, zuchini, butternut squash, peaches, avocado, pears, and green beans. Most of them get steamed, pureed, and then I just freeze them in cubes in an ice cube tray for storage. Then in freezer bags with labels & dates.
I love being able to make Sadie healthy fresh food & knowing exactly what is in there. Plus, I've done a little taste testing - homemade tastes way better! And as if I couldn't be more OCD about the process - I keep all the ziplocs in a new pull-out shoe organizer - this way the little bags don't get lost in our all-to-small freezer. Sadie always helps me - by watching - and loves to know what's going on in the kitchen. She is always up for tasting while making too!
A couple of bonuses....- Frozen food cubes help soothe Sadie's teething gums
- Cooking healthy for Sadie makes us automatically eat better too
- When steaming apples, our house smells delicious!

11 comments:
That is SO GREAT. I never made my kids baby food. I love it when you find a trick that works.
genius!!! i'm convinced now that i want to make my own baby food, so i may come to you in... i don't know, whenever we have a kid (not anytime soon though, no hinting there!) :)
Just beware, because the processing grinds up "things too". Be sure there are no foreign objects in with the food. I always made Melanie's food and once a chip of glass came off the inside of my bender jar, the jar was made of glass. I guess the same thing could happen to plastic too. Just watch for problems, to avoid worse things. But YES I totally agree with Barb!! Make your own it is soooo much better.
signed, Experience
What a good idea. Who is this Shauna with all the awesome tricks, and why am I not her friend? :-) I think I will be doing this with the next one. Actually, Dani is on this "I won't eat vegetables" kick, and the only way I can get her to eat them is to buy baby food and hide it in things (ie. carrots in mac and cheese, sweet potatoes in pancakes--sounds weird, but she loves it!). So maybe I should start doing this right away! Why did I leave my food processor in Utah?
Thanks you so much! I have always wanted to make my own baby food, but never knew where to start. I can't wait to try it.
I made baby food for Liv, but not for the other three. I loved feeding Liv avacado because I loved how good it was for her (even though she sneezed a mouthful all over me once).
is it weird if i could totally go for a food cube now and then? mm.
Super Mom!
To Bobbie, wow you really do worry about everything.
I've never been the same since eating that glass. :)
barb I love this!!! when I have a baby someday that is what I want to do. I love how organized it is. That is what I would do too. Love all your ideas, keep up the hard, amazing work!
Hey I don't know if you remember me, but Kathy showed me your blog for this baby food tip- I have a little guy of my own and he eats tons, I am totally going to try this! Thanks! I hsve blog too, if you want to send me your email I'll invite you! ashleyrosereeves@gmail.com
I never knew there was a site for the homemade baby food, I just had the book 'Super Baby Food'. It was an interesting read and gave me some great feeding tips for my last 5 kidlets. I was always sorry I didn't have the book with my first two though. I think a website would have been better for me though since I kept misplacing the book, and as of today I have no idea where it is. So glad you are having so much fun Barb, and it's so cute that SAide eats it all up, what a good little eater girl!!
Post a Comment