GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Sunday, March 29, 2009

general yw meeting

I'm not quite a young woman anymore - but close enough. One of my best girl friends/old roomies, Amanda, is Sister Elaine Dalton's (general young women's president) personal assistant - so she invited me and another friend, Katie, to attend General Young Women's Meeting with her on Saturday. It was just what I needed. Having a primary calling is great - but I sure do miss the spirit that is felt in Sunday School & Relief Society.

Katie & I were supposed to meet up with Amanda - since she was running around crazy trying to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be at the right time - she put us on the list to get into the devotional before hand for the auxiliary presidency's and the choir members. Who knew dropping my last name to the security guys heavily guarding the underground parking lot would work?! Ha.

The devotional was amazing. We were early so we sat near the front surrounded by board members and their husbands. Sister Julie B Beck (relief society president) shook our hands and told us she was so glad we were there. After the entire general relief society presidency, primary presidency, and young women presidency walked in (right past us - glad we got aisle seats Katie!) - in came Elder Nelson & his wife, Elder Christofferson & his wife, and two members of the quorum of the 70 (can't remember their names). Elder Christofferson spoke about virture & we learned an interesting tidbit...When he and Sister Dalton were freshman they dated - and from that we learn the importance of not burning any bridges. Amen.

Then Katie & I were escorted along with the board members & their families through the back tunnels onto the stage and toward our seats. When the meeting was about to start Amanda came and sat with us - clipboard and all. She's such a cute professional girl - it was fun to watch her in action. She is perfect for that job. And seriously Manda - now they know who you are...future calling here you come...sucker. =)

The meeting was so good. I maybe cried a lot. The entire first presidency was there as well & President Monson spoke about having courage. I am so glad we have the leaders that we do - they truly are inspired men and women of God.

My favorite part of the evening was the beginning of the devotional - we were all led in some choice primary songs/hymns that were really touching. The Spirit was strong - and again I was reminded of the power of music - both bad & good, depending on what we listen too. It was amazing to be singing the songs right along with the leaders that were on the stage.

A couple of things that struck me - the importance of standing up for what you believe in no matter what - even if it's not the popular and most convenient thing to do. We will be ridiculed - we just have to be strong enough to stand tall when the ridicule comes.

Virtue - it's not just for the young women - we all need to strive to be a little better in this area. I know I do. And it's never too late to change your ways and become better.

I was also reminded again of the sweet blessing it is to be a mother - Sadie is a choice daughter of our Heavenly Father - still untainted from the world. What a great blessing it is to be her mother. I just hope I can live up to the task at hand & guide her through the hard times.

Thanks again Manda for the amazing opportunity!! And Katie - thanks for hanging out with me all day. Glad I have such amazing friends and examples in my life. Love you girls!

Watch the Broadcast Here

Did I mention Sheri Dew walked right past me?! Okay, that's all the name dropping I'll do...=)

4 comments:

Troy said...

Good for you sis! I'm glad that you got to go!

Bobbie said...

What a great opportunity, I am so glad you were able to go. There is nothing like actually being there.

I was reminded today that another reason to read the Book of Mormon, is so that we can feel the Spirit.

There are a lot of good books out there to read, but none of them can bring the Spirit into your heart, except the scriptures.

MStevenson said...

Sounds like a really fun day and opportunity.

And aren't you cute in that red sweater....duh!

huston said...

it sounds amazing i'm so sad i couldn't go i could use some uplifting!