Sweden rules 'gender-based' abortion legal
Swedish health authorities have ruled that gender-based abortion is not illegal according to current law and can not therefore be stopped, according to a report by Sveriges Television.
The Local reported in February that a woman from Eskilstuna in southern Sweden had twice had abortions after finding out the gender of the child.
The woman, who already had two daughters, requested an amniocentesis in order to allay concerns about possible chromosome abnormalities. At the same time, she also asked to know the foetus's gender.
Doctors at Mälaren Hospital expressed concern and asked Sweden’s National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) to draw up guidelines on how to handle requests in the future in which they "feel pressured to examine the foetus’s gender" without having a medically compelling reason to do so.
The board has now responded that such requests and thus abortions can not be refused and that it is not possible to deny a woman an abortion up to the 18th week of pregnancy, even if the foetus's gender is the basis for the request.
What?! This world is getting so crazy...Okay, if you've been reading my blog for awhile you know I am pro-life all the way - adoption people, not murder. That said, I also get pretty frustrated when people are upset they're having a certain gender. Oh, a boy again - nuts. Not another girl! Curse.
Someone I know...still wishes her 2nd little boy, who's nearing 2, was a little girl, and talks about this in front of him. In front of him!! He's not dumb. Kids understand things, talk about growing up with low self-esteem, knowing your mom doesn't even want you.
I really believe that Heavenly Father is in charge here - he sends people to specific families for a reason & we as parents need to be appreciative and grateful that he trusts us enough to send us these special spirits to raise. Whether it's 10 girls and no boys - or children that all have huge medical problems. We have been blessed with certain gifts that will help raise these children - and in turn they have been blessed with certain gifts that will help enrich our family.
And a last rant - instead of being upset you're having another boy/girl - just be grateful you can get pregnant at all!! Some people don't have that opportunity...okay. I'll stop. I'm just getting more upset.
-

9 comments:
I know! it's absolutely ridiculous! i hate it when people start talking about this kind of stuff, and i totally want to tell them to shut up, or maybe get a little violent and punch them really hard! but then i think that they have to make their own decisions, which really annoys me because most of the time they are the wrong decision, or at least to me they are... life can be so complicated!
AMEN, Barbara! Same thing in China- in some families if the wife has a girl, she and the baby are ousted because the males want their boys. Igh.
Its been like this for hundreds of years in some countries. I wonder how H. F. can put up with this kind of stupidity and meanness. Children are such a blessing, babies so precious. I just can't imagine how they can think it is alright to kill a child, unborn or born, for any reason.
If I were in charge I would use lightening bolts!!
H. F. knows what is best. He will do what is necessary. I am certainly glad He IS in charge.
I'm with you 100%! The first time I heard about partial-birth abortions (from you blog here) I went crazy. How can they do this? There are SO many good people who want to adopt!!! And seriously, why would you give make the choice to kill another human being just because you don't get the gender you want? How selfish can a person be?!
Okay, I'll stop now so I don't take up all the room on your blog. Hey, where do you read this stuff? I'm tired of the Herald Journal for news, it doesn't cut it in any way shape or form! I miss you!!! Are you coming up any time soon? I've started working a flex schedule so I can have one day off a week and I would love to see you. If you know when you might come up I could take that day off and stalk you for a while :)
I am with you it makes me angry. If you don't want a child based on its gender you aren't OLD enough to have kids and should STOP having sex. I knoe a few people that are struggling with fertility and would give anything for a child.
After delivering a baby at 20 weeks and holding HIM in your hands you could NEVER believe in abortion.
glenn beck's segment on this on his radio program last week was brilliant. he told pro choicers to call in and tell him if they thought it was okay for sweden to do this. most of them said no, and then couldn't really figure out why they WERE choicers in the first place.
dianna
I also have a neighbor that talks about how she wanted her little boy to be a girl in front of him and he is 4 years old! It makes me furious! I'm so grateful for my sweet little boys. Yeah, there are days I want to put a bow in their hair, but man, I wouldn't trade em for the world!
hey barb I haven't had internet for awhile we've been moving so i just got to read this and i totally agree a week after finely was born we got a phone call telling us we needed to do more tests and meet with a genetic specialist at primary's we were then told he could have some genetic problems and that he may not make it very long probably not to 2 after more tests and nearly 3 months we got a clean bill of health but it was really scary and i definately believe we should be greatful for the family heavenly father gives us!!!
Post a Comment