GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

las vegas...a lot of pictures!

Thanks to a 90 minute torture session listening to a time share sales pitch where they tried to hold us hostage while my 3 month old colicky (and hungry) daughter was screaming in the parking lot with my mom...we more than earned this free trip to Vegas. More than earned.

left - our first time in Vegas together, senior year of high school fall of 2001
right - trying to reenact the same pic at The Mirage

It sure was fun too! To get another free night while there we listened to another sales pitch where they actually treated us with respect, and accepted our no - gave us $140 and another free trip...suckas. Or are we the suckers? I'm not sure. Either way - traveling for nearly nothing is awesome!

Some random pictures - the bottom right is after we walked the ENTIRE strip back and forth in one day...my feet were killing me! So tired.


Maybe we snuck into a fancy hotel, one where the entrance is not easily accessible from the strip - really not accessible. We snuck in and tried to pretend we belonged there among all the rich-folk. We were dressed WAY too casually to fool anyone.


Best pastry ever at one of my favorite cobble-stone street places in Vegas. Love the atmosphere and the shops. It's almost like being in Europe again - well, not really. But the closest I'll get too it for awhile. Bottom left - Ry was singing along with the Gondola man...we have no shame.


Best food we had in Vegas and it was free! Thank you $40 gift card from timeshare salesman.
Left, my yummy Cob Salad and right, Ry's fancy lasagna.

What is happening Barneys of New York...and fashion all together? My favorite is the manikin with purses on her head.


Then there was Madame Tussauds Wax Museum - we wouldn't have gone if it weren't for the super cheap tickets we got from the timeshare salesman...couldn't pass up on opportunity to make fun of celebrities.

This is probably one of my favorites...ha!

That was my best grumpy Simon face...

I can't remember her name...but we both do not like her...

Bet you can't guess where I stand politically...I had to take the pic of Obama from way far away - they had someone there to take a picture for you to charge you more money...




I maybe was a little too excited to see the new James Bond and made Ry retake the picture 4 times till it was good enough...so he got me back with the next girly he saw...love his face in this pic!


Frank isn't my favorite - but he was representing all the good jazz music and old crooners...so I had to get a pic. Love that era.

Ry ignored the politics and went straight for the astronauts...maybe someday honey!




We went to the temple before leaving Vegas - what a breath of fresh air! Loved experiencing the contrast between the strip and the temple grounds. It made it so easy to feel the spirit! Wow. The church is true.


Growing up whenever we went on road trips our lunch/food of choice by default, because we were poor, was vienna sausages on potato rolls. Nice and cheap and it fed the whole family. I still love it - it was my childhood. So I had to get it. Can you guess how Ry feels about it? He won't partake of the canned goodness. It is an acquired taste.

*Quick childhood story - my dad would pull the car over, open the door and lean out to drain the water off the sausages on the ground. Then we'd eat. My sis Carrie for years thought he was pulling over and finding cans of Vienna Sausages on the road - how the Lord provided food for us! It was a miracle! My dad the Vienna Sausage finder...amazing! Love you sis!

12 comments:

D'N'J said...

i love vienna sausages! i think your mom must have fed them to us, too, because my parents hate them. jeff won't touch them either. i like them slathered in mayo and mustard. yum. i'm glad you guys had fun, though. i can't convince myself to go to vegas because i can't see what to do other than gamble and drink.

Shirley said...

How fun! We did that sales thing too in September and just found the paperwork that expired for registration on March 30th! Ah! So I'm still going to send it in, I doubt we will get anything for it, but I am crossing your fingers. Your post looked fun, but made me a little sad because I'm an idiot. :)

Elicia said...

I remember the first time i had vienna sausages!! it was with grandma when you guys were living in idaho i think, and she was driving us somewhere and had vienna sausages, and i think she opened the door and poured out the water... but that's what i remember from them! i want some now!

Heather said...

I loved reading this post so much! It looks like you had such a fun time on your trip and I'm so glad! You guys crack me up. I am super excited for Saturday!!! :)

Amanda Petersen said...

KILLS ME! so funny:) remember, remember, remember, remember (* said like a 3 year old*) when you, c & i went to cali and on the way one of you chucked a vienna sausage and it got stuck in the visor handle?? :) i just laughed hysterically at the memory.

looks like you guys had so much fun!!

Amanda Petersen said...

KILLS ME! so funny:) remember, remember, remember, remember (* said like a 3 year old*) when you, c & i went to cali and on the way one of you chucked a vienna sausage and it got stuck in the visor handle?? :) i just laughed hysterically at the memory.

looks like you guys had so much fun!!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

haha love the vienna sausage story! looks like a fun trip!

CAF said...

that pic of you and ry from like 10 yrs ago kills me. and ryan looks totally natural next to snoooop dogg. hm...almost like eminem is in that throne.

glad you told the v sausage story. classic.

Troy said...

Carrie is our special sister.

Rachel said...

Looks like you guys had a good time. I live close and have never been to half of the things you guys visited. It was fun to get to see you guys for a little while.

MStevenson said...

That pic of you guys when you were younger...so cute.

Looks like so much fun!
Seriously.

I love vienna sauges, luckily Mark loves them too. That's when we knew!

MStevenson said...

That pic of you guys when you were younger...so cute.

Looks like so much fun!
Seriously.

I love vienna sauges, luckily Mark loves them too. That's when we knew!