GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Friday, December 12, 2008

Take That Steve Jobs!!

Graduation - the culmination of my education, right?! Wrong. I knew I would keep learning, I knew I wanted to...but, without paper deadlines, upcoming tests, and the obvious distraction of life changes - somehow it all got put on hold. Throughout my 5 years in college I missed reading for fun, I didn't have time to read for fun - so I kept a long, ever-growing list of books suggested by my professors & friends - thinking that once I was done, I could read for fun again. Well, a year and a half after graduating, it begins. I've been reading here and there, but not consistently, and none of the books that are on my list.

“It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore...Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year." - said Steve Jobs when asked about Amazon Kindle book reader.

One book or less? That's just sad. So, to show Steve Jobs that there are still people that read - I am starting a "Book Club" (or challenge rather) - the rules of this book club...read whatever you want, just read - as fast or as slow as you want, just read - 24 books in 2009, or 2, you decide, but just read. The only thing I ask is that you give us all a little Book Review after you've finished a book so we know if we want to read it or not.

I will be sharing what I am currently reading on my sidebar, fancy little bookshelf I just added from Shelfari. I will also be adding a list of books I am going to read to my Shelfari account if you'd like to view them, read the summary, and read the same book - feel free! The book I'm reading now - Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin, really good so far. I'll probably be reviewing it in a few days.

So let the challenge begin! Let's prove Steve Jobs wrong, at least a little.

15 comments:

D'N'J said...

i believe it.

i hated black like me. that might have been because it was a school assignment, but i think i might still hate it anyway. i'm not sure why. i'm a jerk like that?

D'N'J said...

p.s. jeff says he'll be sure to share all of his star wars reviews with you.

Troy said...

Robin reads about 24 books a month. Take that Barb!

Barb said...

Troy - we can't all be as amazing as Robin, now can we.

D'N'J said...

my latest review - i'm a dope who reads little kids books and not real literary art, so I'm reading harry potter. it's much better than the movies. and i'm finally to a point where there isn't a movie yet so i can actually picture the events for myself. haven't been reading anything else, i get confused if i read more than one at a time.

Bobbie said...

Where do we post the book review? On our own blogs?

signed, some blonde girl (oh, that wasn't nice was it)
Sorry!
signed, annoymouse

Bobbie said...

Ignore the picture.

Heather said...

I read 'Black Like Me' a long time ago and enjoyed it. But then again, it wasn't a school assignment. 'Catcher in the Rye' was however, and I did hate that. I think Dianna is on to something...
Good luck Barb! I will try my best to read, as I truly love it, but so far the only reading I do a lot of is cookbooks and recipes. I will make a big effort to branch out though.

Barb said...

You can post your book reviews on your own blog - or as a comment here...if you do post it on your own blog, just leave a comment here saying so, so we can all go check it out! Thanks!

Erin said...

This is such a good idea! I'm so excited! I already have a huge list of books I want to read, but I will happily add more when you guys find good ones. I LOVE to read, and I can't wait to start on my reviews.

huston said...

good idea barb that is so sad that people doin't read!!!
I'm working on northhanger abbey it's a jane austen and it's pretty good easy reading but i just read angels and demons that was good a little intense but i liked it then again i'm not catholic or i might feel differently. Let me know about any fun "light" reading suggestions to pack in my hospital bag

CAF said...

I like yer idea, B. I'm on board.

The Kippen House said...

Awesome idea! And Black Like Me is a really interesting book!

Melissa said...

Barb what if the books we read are somewhat juvenile or embarassing?? I read alot, but not many of the books I read are very intellectually stimulating. I use them as my drug, my escape from reality. So I tend to like them entertaining over educational...

Barb said...

Doesn't matter Melissa! Any book is better than no book. =)