I tried really hard to read this book, I really did. But I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. It was more like a chore to sit down and read, rather than something I looked forward too. Sad, but true. Sorry to those of you who love it. Just not my thing I guess. But I gave it a go, and that's what matters.The reason I "read" it - years ago, I was probably 10 or 11, someone doorbell ditched a jar full of money on our porch during the holiday season. It was a BIG deal to us! We didn't have a lot of money, ever. We dumped out the money and all sat around the floor counting it out into 5 even piles. Then the next day we got to go buy something for ourselves. One of my most treasured Christmas memories. In fact, looking back, most of my Christmas memories involve people serving us in secretive ways. I grew up poor, and the Lord knew what we needed, and He guided people to serve us in ways that we needed. Talking to my mom recently about this I found out there were a lot of things that happened that I didn't know about. So thank you to all of those amazing people who helped my family in so many ways!! We may not know who you are - but your acts of kindness will always be remembered.
Anyway, so I told this story to my in-laws last year and my sister-in-law Heather said "That's like the book!", "What book?"...I had no idea. After Christmas last year I found the books on super sale at Deseret Book and bought copies for my immediate family & planned to give them jars along with the books at Thanksgiving this year and challenge them all to "pay it forward".
Well, I just can't ask anybody else to read the book. It's not all that enthralling. So...instead. I will challenge all of you blog readers out there to find a way to serve someone this Christmas - whether it's monetary or not. If you don't have money to give, totally fine. People still need their walks shoveled, cars cleared off, fresh baked cookies, a visit from a friend. Reach out and pray for opportunities to serve & you will be amazed at how the Lord opens your eyes to seeing people and their needs, things you may not have noticed before. And let's not stop after Christmas is over...
Now Reading: Arguing with Idiots by Glenn Beck (thanks D! I'm excited to finish it - I've already started...love it!)

2 comments:
I plan to serve pie.
someone should serve me pie too!
Post a Comment