GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Winter Camping...wasn't that cold!

Sadie got croup the day before Valentine's and then Ry came down with bronchitis...so now that everyone is better - Ry finally got his present this weekend.

I kidnapped Ry from school Friday and made him close his eyes all the way to the car and all the way to our first stop...Carl's Jr. Yum! Have you tried their Teriyaki Burgers? You should.

Next stop: Winter camping up the canyon in our SUV. I had spent the whole day preparing - so the air mattress was already in the back, made up like a bed. We had treats, movies, games.

Winter camping is something we've always talked about doing, but just haven't. And boy was it fun!

A couple of side adventures:
  • Our run-in with an avalanche. Not really. We just had to wait while highway patrol and lots of big dump trucks cleared the snow off the road. We missed it, luckily. And of course, we camped in a totally none-avalanchey place.
  • Waking up to a sheriff knocking on our window to make sure we were okay. =)
We started our morning with breakfast in bed and a movie - then headed off to go snow-shoeing, which neither of us had ever done before.

It was so fun! The weather was perfect, sunny and blue sky. We found a great trail and went on a good 2 hour hike. We even found an igloo at the top of the mountain.
The views were awesome. There's something so magical about the absolute silence that snow creates.
Then we were off to meet up with Jordan, Ry's bro, and his girlfriend, Katie, to go shooting. Katie's uncle owns an outfitting business and they have an amazing set-up with automatic clay pigeon throwers.
It was Ry's first time shooting and of course, he picked up on it super quick and was amazing...he bugs me. =) Not really...he's just good at everything. He shot about 70 rounds and we both had a lot of fun. (thanks Katie & Jo for hooking us up!)

It was a blast! Thanks mom for tending S for us! It was a nice break - even though it only took a few hours for me to say "I miss her" - pathetic I know. But she's my little shadow.

Happy late Valentine's baby! Love you!

11 comments:

D'N'J said...

that does sound fun. and snowshoeing is probably not a way to break ones elbow, so that's a plus! :) you should teach me all your fun adventure ideas. if only we had an suv.

Laura Howard said...

How fun! What a great idea!

Amanda Petersen said...

oh my gosh bados! that sounds so fun!!!

Jana H. said...

Wow, your alot more adventurous than me, especially up where you guys are... BRRRR! I hate the cold (says the girl who got proposed to in a snow cave!) Anywho, if you ever are down here on a Monday or Tuesday, let me know and I'll have you over for lunch or dinner! I need friends this time of year with tax season and all!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

sounds fun! I hate to break it to you though--sleeping in a car on an air mattress isn't really "camping" ;) You should try real winter camping-- so much fun too!

The Kippen House said...

What fun! Ry is such a lucky guy! Steve will be so jealous when I tell him!!! I miss you!!!!

Heather said...

What a fun idea! You guys are so cute! I've never been winter camping but I don't think I'm brave enough! I guess sleeping in the car would be easier...

Sarah said...

You two are nuts....that just looks awfully cold!

Troy said...

Next time - snowshoe then snow cave! :)

BlondieBlueEyes said...

SO FUN!!! I want to try snowshoeing.

huston said...

you guys are so cute it looks like you had a blast