GOING PRIVATE : Want an invite? Leave a comment with your email address or send it to me at barb.themomblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

simplify

This is the motto I've been trying to adopt for quite some time...it is really hard for me to simplify. I love all of my little projects and I love being busy. But I took a step back a few weeks ago and realized I was doing some things great - while other, more important, things were being left unattended. That Good, Better, Best talk always runs through my mind.

Throughout my day I think to myself - is this a good thing or a best thing? How could I be using my time more wisely? More importantly - what would the Lord have me do with my time? Hence - the lack of posts lately. I love blogging. But it is often times not the best thing I could be doing. I'll still be posting here and there, I do think our family blog (& facebook) is a great way to capture memories & stay connected to family/friends that are far away - but not all the time like I was.


It is also hard for me to let go of ideas/projects - things I know would be great if I could give it more time. But...when it comes down to it, "no other success can compensate for failure within the home" (april conference address McKay 1964). And I've got my two priorities to think about (pictured above)...so I'm thinking - bye bye to the mom blog? Probably. We'll see.

How do you prioritize your time to make sure you're getting the most important things done? What is your good, better, best? Just something to think about.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

if you get rid of the mom blog, i hope you still post some of your cute ideas on here. i've been collecting ideas and learning some good tips for raising future kiddies. :)

um, and i'm not jeff.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

I know what you mean... but I don't think you should get rid of the mom blog! I'm sure you can work some time in here or there for it--- it's helpful and I'm sure you like doing it-- so I say keep it. If I got rid of one time sucker, it would be facebook... but I'm not going to. ;)

MStevenson said...

You could combine the two I guess.

I have to think about what's improtant a lot too. Blogging is usually down on the list. It's more important to play and teach my kids or even clean my house, but blogging is kinda relaxing for me so I do it.

I've learned not to make things too hard on myself, don't always volenteer for things, you gotta pick and choose....anyway, I know what you mean....I think you do pretty good...

Heather said...

You are so amazing! You do so much and I know what you mean about feeling like you need to simplify. It's just hard when you have so many good things you want to do! Sometimes it's hard to determine what is best. Of course family is priority, but there are so many good things you could do.

I LOVE the mom blog and I would be very sad if you got rid of it! I have learned so much from it and I've told myself so many times that I'll study it when I have kids! I also hope if you decide to get rid of it that you still post some helpful things on your family blog. You know a lot of wonderful things that are really helpful to those of us who don't :)

Taylor said...

I like the mom blog too--maybe just get another mom friend or 2 to be co-authors so it is not as time intensive for you.

Shirley said...

I agree with all that's been said. I think you've put way too much time into the mom blog to let it go. Plus it is so fun! More guest authors would probably be good. But you do know what is best for yourself. Maybe you can take a break and see if it's the right thing or not. Blogging is my hobby and I love it. I certainly couldn't get rid of it. Good luck deciding!